Thursday, July 15, 2010

Wanted: Best Friend

Have you seen the film "I Love You, Man"? Well, I haven't, and even if I want, I couldn't, and even if I could, I wouldn't. Okay, stop. Enter Google. It's a story of a man who, upon getting engaged to the woman of his dreams, discovers, to his dismay and chagrin, that he has no male friend close enough to serve as his Best Man. He then immediately sets out to rectify the situation, embarking on a series of bizarre and awkward "man-dates," before finally meeting a charming, opinionated man with whom he instantly bonds. But the closer the two men get, the more his relationship with his fiance suffers, ultimately forcing him to choose between her and his new found "bro". It is a story that comically explores what it truly means to be and how to have a "best friend."

Jason Segel gives Paul Rudd a concert bro-hug in "I Love You, Man"

I am not about to get married, as you might start to think. Ask my mother about it and she'll probably slap you in the face with a 2x2 inches thick coco lumber. So, what gives the idea? Well, it happens sometimes when you are in great emotions, like when you are in profound joys or blinding sorrows that you gotta realize the things that brought you to where you are, the things that keep you holding on and the things that you miss. I am in pain and deterioration right now, I know exactly why and how. My dreams for my family keep me holding on. The things that I miss, too long for his paragraph to list.

I miss my family. They do miss me, too. I hope. I miss my friends back home. They, too. I suppose without a doubt. I MISS A BEST FRIEND. I don't expect to be missed at all. I ain't got ONE. When time comes that I need to settle down, surely getting a BEST MAN will be a dilemma as well. But before we worry about the future, let's take a look at the past. I grew up alone. The comfort and complacency that I have found in solitude has never clouded me to feel the need for a 'BUDDY" apart from my shadow. During my late teenage years, however, before I finished college, before I finally separated myself from the curse of studies, I felt my human side longing for company. Sadly, time has changed.

The basic foundation for a genuine friendship has already passed me by - innocence. The needle in the haystack has been lost out in the vast and endless sea. I don't know where to begin. The more I look for it, the more it gets hidden. The accidental acquaintances from office, boarding houses and places of interests that I have turned to friends just couldn't take the place of a one true BEST FRIEND. Someone close enough to be a brother, keeper of secrets and partner in crime. No one seem to walk in the same wavelength as mine, someone who doesn't smoke, doesn't drink, doesn't enjoy life, someone who loves arts, who ardors movies and enjoys nature. Incompatibility kept me far. I am looking for it, I forgot big time , though, that it is the opposite that attracts.

I wished someday I could also find someone to say "I Love You, Man" without malice. Someone who represents the freedoms most men hesitate to give themselves, maybe through fear of ending up alone, arrested or locked inside behavior that looks fun when you're young but crazy when you're older. I wished I could also find that love that doesn't speak its name - that one of straight guy for another.










0 comments:

Post a Comment